HFA Q&A – David Slade20 November, 2018
HFA Q&A – David Slade
HomeField Alliance’s ongoing content feature lets members and others get to know LGBTQ professionals in sports and entertainment. If you would like to participate, or have a suggestion for someone we should interview, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next up is HomeField Alliance board member, David Slade, Chief Development & Marketing Officer, WFYI Public Media!
1) What would you like HFA members to know about you that they couldn’t learn from your LinkedIn profile?
I am the proud father of a beautiful four-year-old son who loves sports including swimming, basketball, football, tennis, gymnastics and soccer!
2) What is the best aspect of your current role?
In my current role, I love working with talented professionals who constantly challenge me to do better and be better.
3) What is the biggest challenge you face in that role?
The biggest challenge I face is working with senior management to not lead out of fear, put a stake in the ground and provide the focus our directors and managers need to be successful. We need to provide clarity and get out of the way.
4) What impact, if any, has your LGBTQ status had on your career, either positive or negative?
I think my LGBTQ status has been nothing but a positive for me personally and the organizations I have served. Creating an LGBT BRG at the USTA, advocating for adoption benefits and paternity leave all helped pave the way and hopefully encouraged others to be confident in being themselves in and out of the office.
5) What is one thing the sports & entertainment industry can do to be more welcoming to LGBTQ employees?
Invest in existing LGBTQ staff; promote them to positions of authority.
6) What advice would you give to LGBTQ sports & entertainment professionals who are early in their careers?
Show up prepared, work hard, assume positive intent and secure a mentor.
7) Who do you look up to? (It doesn’t have to be someone you know.)
Leaders who don’t need the spotlight.
8) What is the best piece of career advice you ever received?
If you think you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re probably in the wrong room.
9) What is your favorite thing to do to decompress away from work?
Any activity with my son.
10) What are you currently reading?
Born A Crime, Trevor Noah